17 March 2009

The Glory And The Magic of PERFORMING Music

Performing/Creating/Listening/Watching

Performing music has been one of the great joys of my life - it is literally one of the things I'm very certain that I was put on the planet to do. Now that I am becoming "a woman of a certain age", it gives me additional pleasure to help and encourage others in their performance lives, as well as to keep fanning the flames of my own. I've done it in countless settings publicly since I was 3, and as an adult here in Des Moines since I was 18, over 25 years ago. That said, I'm still such a student in the subject, with my most powerful learning tool being the art of "unlearning". What a thrill it is to wave the flag for musical performance excellence, especially in the face of all the mediocrity that's out there. No matter what your genre, there are performance principles that apply across the board, including those from the article below. Enjoy, and I wish you the glory and the magic that can only be found onstage!

A piece about musical performance HERE

A singing tribute to the great joy of singing and all performing by Wynonna

Another singing tribute to singing--as well as a call for compassion & justice from Annie Lennox

No comments: